Saturday, March 29, 2008

Maternity

Hello everyone,

These shots are actually from a while ago, but I did want to share the experience. This is my one and only Maternity shoot to date. When asked to do it, I thought... "hmmm... I've never done a maternity shoot before, but I'll take the challenge." I then began to brainstorm some ideas and thoughts about how I wanted the images to look. I wanted something timeless, classy and flattering to both me and the mom-to-be. Oh, and I wanted to use natural window light.

We decided to do it at the mom-to-be's house and although I'd never been there, I figured that they must have a window. I brought a few reflectors and a flash in case I wanted to bounce some fill off a wall or ceiling. I get there, get my head together and as usual, just kinda fly by the seat of my pants... Just reminding myself to think elegant beauty and timeless classic. Oh and stay away from the "cheese". I didn't want something cliché, like the heart shaped hands in front of the belly. Which reminds me, when we set it up, we talked about shooting before she was a full nine months. I wanted her to look pregnant but not as if she were ready to give birth any second.

I was really lucky to have such a beautiful model and she made it really easy to get some great shots.








No, we were not trying to shape the hands like a heart!


6 comments:

Bree said...

GORGEOUS shots...great work!

Anonymous said...

Will, these are really nice, and I love the soft feel to it.

pattrsnd said...

What wonderful shots Will. Special photos of a special moment in time!

Unknown said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Will, you should do more maternity photos! These were incredible. I think they are probably the most professional and most elegant maternity shots I've ever seen. Muchos kudos my friend!

Scott Bulger Photography said...

are by far, the finest maternity portraits that I have ever seen. Classic and timelees. Well done.

Anonymous said...

They are as exactley as you wanted them to be. Really great work Will.

What great insight you have given me with this. I'm loving the new blogs!

I did the hearts thing ONCE, then Scott filled me in and I've never done it again. And now after reading your blog, I really get it!

THANKS!!!!